Hi, how are you doing today? all good? hope you in good condition today. Alright in this article we will learn about Report Text that includes definition, Generic Structure, Function, Purpose, and Characteristic so, lets start the learning.
Report is a text which presents information about something, as it is. It is as a result of systematic observation and analyses.
The General Characteristics of a Report Text
The characteristics of a report text can be seen from its generic structures and linguistic features. Those characteristics will be explained below.
A. Generic structures
A title of a report text indicates the topic of the text and it is a very general thing.
- General Classification
A general classification is a part that state classification of general aspect of things, such as: animals, public places, plants, etc. It will be discussed in general.
This part gives describing of the things which will be discussed in detail, in terms of: parts (and their function), qualities, habits and behavior.
B. Linguistic features
- Focus on generic participant.
A report text always introduces group or general aspect and focus on general nouns, such as: ‘Platypus’, ‘Bees’, etc.
- A report text uses relating verb and action verb, for example:
Relating verb : Reptiles are scalyanimal,etc.
Action verb : Birds fly in the sky, etc.
- A report text uses of simple present tense, for example: Platypus lives in streams, male platypus does not need any burrow, etc
- The language used in a report text is a scientific language, for example: water contains oxygen and hydrogen, etc.
- A report text uses Conditionals and logical connectives, such as: but, in other hand, etc.
Purpose of Report text
– Its social purpose is presenting information about something. They generally describe an entire class of things, whether natural or made: mammals, the planets, rocks, plants, countries of region, culture, transportation, and so on.
– To presents information about something, as it is.
The Characteristics / Language Feature of Report text:
– Use of general nouns, e.g hunting dogs, rather than particular nouns, eg our dog;
– Use of relating verbs to describe features, e.g Molecules are tiny particles;
– Some use of action verbs when describing behavior, e.g Emus cannot fly;
– Use of timeless present tense to indicate usual, e.g Tropical cyclones always begin over the sea;
– Use of technical terms, e.g Isobars are lines drawn on a weather map;
– Use of paragraphs with topic sentences to organize bundles of information; repeated naming of the topic as the beginning focus of the clause.
Example Report Text :
Venice is a city in northern Italy. It is the capital of region Veneto. Together with Padua, the city is included in the Padua-Venice Metropolitan Area. Venice has been known as the “Queen of the Adriatic”, “City of Water”, “City of Bridges”, and “The City of Light”. The city stretches across 117 small islands in the marshy Venetian Lagoon along the Adriatic Sea in northeast Italy.
Venice is world-famous for its canals. It is built on an archipelago of 117 islands formed by about 150 canals in a shallow lagoon. The islands on which the city is built are connected by about 400 bridges. In the old center, the canals serve the function of roads, and every form of transport is on water or on foot. You can ride gondola there. It is the classical Venetian boat which nowadays is mostly used for tourists, or for weddings, funerals, or other ceremonies. Now, most Venetians travel by motorized waterbuses (“vaporetti”) which ply regular routes along the major canals and between the city’s islands. The city also has many private boats. The only gondolas still in common use by Venetians are the traghetti, foot passenger ferries crossing the Grand Canal at certain points without bridges.
You can see the amusing city’s landmarks such as Piazza San Marco, Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo, Saint Mark’s Cathedral or villas of the Veneto. The villas of the Veneto, rural residences for nobles during the Republic, are one of the most interesting aspects of Venetian countryside. They are surrounded by elegant gardens, suitable for fashionable parties of high society. The city is also well known for its beautiful and romantic view, especially at night.
Alright that’s all about Report Text that I could give to you all guys. Thanks for visiting this simple website and have a nice day 🙂